DC-8 Jet Variants
The version had the high-drag wing-tips, and all were switched into DC-8-12 standard. Even the DC-8-12 had slots and also the wing-tips, 3-4 inches long and 80 inches between your motors on each wing inboard of those motors.
Doors covered these apparatus on the top and lower wing surfaces which started for low-speed flight and shut to the rail. The most weight rose by 265,000 about 273,000 pounds (120,200 to 123,800 kilogram ).
3 4 DC-8-20s were assembled along with 1-5 DC-8-10s that was converted. This version was initially called”DC-8B” but has been renamed while the series 30 premiered.
For InterContinental paths, both Series 30 variations combined JT4A engines using a one-day upsurge in fuel capacity and also reinforced fuselage and landing gear.
The DC-8-31 was also approved in March 1960 using 16,800 pounds (75.2 kN) JT4A-9 motors for 300,000-pound (136,080 kilograms) maximum take-off weight.
Even the DC-8-32 was similar but let 310,000-pound (140,600 kilograms) weight. Even the DC-8-33 of November 1960 substituted 17,500 pounds (78.4 kN) JT4A-11 turbojets.
The DC-8-40 was the -30 however with 17,500 pounds (78.4 kN) Rolls-Royce Con-Way 509 turbofan engines to get superior efficiency, less noise, and less smoke.
The Conway has been a marked advancement within the turbojets that preceded it but also the Series 40 poorly sold as a result of the usual reluctance of U.S. air companies to get a foreign item and since the still-more-advanced Pratt & Whitney JT3D turbofan was expected in early 1961.
The definitive short-fuselage DC 8 came using precisely exactly the Exact Same engine which powered the Huge Most 707s, ” the JT3D. Fourteen were switched into the standard. The -55 were licensed in 1961.
Even the DC-8-51, DC-8-52 and DC-8-53 had 17,000 pounds (76.1 kN) JT3D-1 or 18,000 pounds (80.6 kN) JT3D-3B motors, varying mainly inside their own weights: 276,000 pounds (125,200 kilogram ), 300,000 pounds (136,100 kilogram ) and also 315,000 pounds (142,900 kilogram ) respectively.
- DC 8 Jet Trader: Douglas accepted the Growth of freighter variations of this DC 8 in May 1961, based on the Series 50. A unique want to fit a stationary bulkhead separating the forwards 2/3 of this cottage for cargo, leaving the back cottage for 54 passenger chairs was soon replaced with a practice you to do work with of a movable bulkhead and invite between 25 and 11-4 chairs with the remaining reserve for freight.
- EC-24A: America Navy used one former United Airlines DC-8-54 (F) within a digital warfare training stage. This was created in October 1998 and currently is with all an Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group in storage.
Super 60 Series
- DC 8 Series 6-1: The”Super DC8″ Series 6-1 was designed for high power and moderate scope. It had arches, motors, and precisely the wings also forfeited range. The necessary length bolstering of this arrangement; however, the design had adequate ground clearance allowing the growth in cabin size.
- DC 8 Series 62 is a little heavier compared to -53 or even -61 in 335,000 pounds (151,953 pounds), and ready to seat up to 189 passengers, so the more -62 needed an array with complete payload of roughly 5,200 nautical miles (9,600 kilometers; 6,000 mi), or even approximately the same because the -53 however with 40 passengers.
- DC8 Series 63: The”Super DC8″ Series 63 has been the closing new-build version and entered service in June 1968. It’d the very long fuselage of this -61, both the aerodynamic refinements and higher fuel capacity of their -62 and also 19,000 pounds (85.1 kN) JT3D-7 motors.
Even the DC-8-71 achieved precisely the same ending but took alteration since the -61 failed to need the wings that were improved and re-located motors of -63 and their -62.
Maximum take-off weights stayed precisely the same. However, there is a decrease in the payload as a result of those massive engines. All three models were certified in 1982, and also the time that the program stopped in 1988 changed a total of 1 10.
Information and image source: Wikipedia